[Radiance-general] Re: os 10.3 panther raypath set

pillo [email protected]
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:28:32 +0000

--Apple-Mail-1--540084688

if you wish to use x11 graphical capabilities from apple terminal, add
this at the end of your .bash_profile:

if [ -z "${DISPLAY}" ];then echo -n
export DISPLAY=':0'
fi

...  you will be able to use ximage in terminal.app and see images
through x11.

cheers,
pillo

On 28 Nov 2003, at 19:25, alex Summerfield wrote:

> Hi Santiago and everybody else in this thread
>
> Thought i'd follow your suggestion and see if i could get an alias to
> work and so avoid the rview - vi problem. (More importantly i needed
> to get the raypath to be set properly in X11).
>
> Key thing seems to be that while .bash_profile may work for terminal
> (a nod to Rob here), for Xwindows all those settings need to be put in
> .bashrc  (well at least that was all that would work for me - it seems
> to ignore .bash_profile .login .profile  etc.etc.).
>
> In .bashrc put:
>
> PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin/ray:$PATH
> RAYPATH=.:/usr/local/lib/ray
> alias rvw='/usr/local/bin/ray/rview'
> export PATH RAYPATH
>
> Just to clarify - i find it better to install Radiance binaries in
> usr/local/bin/ray - and so keep them distinct from the other binaries
> i have in bin.
> Those who use he default location would have:
> alias rvw='/usr/local/bin/rview'
>
> But anyway the alias trick seems to work fine with 'rvw' or 'rvi' or
> whatever.
> It's certainly useful for a reducing the typing on other commands as
> well.
>
> I guess another one of those things that would be useful in a single
> point guideline for installing into Panther.
>
> cheers
> alex
>
> On 27 Nov 2003, at 12:07 am, Santiago Torres wrote:
>

>> Actually, I think there is an easier solution. If rview is renamed,
>> then
>> there`s the backwards compatibility problem. But it should be
>> possible to
>> use the enemie`s weapons;) as they say, every problem includes it`s
>> own
>> solution. If an alias is defined, for example "rvi" (pun intended!)
>> pointing
>> to radiance`s rview (it`s even two letters less to type) This could be
>> included in the main distribution to be used in case rview colides
>> with vi,
>> and without compatibility problems. Unfortunately I don`t know how to
>> do
>> this, or even if it is possible at all, but I hope it makes sense.
>>
>> Santiago.

<excerpt>Hi Santiago and everybody else in this thread

<excerpt>-----Original Message-----