[Radiance-general] Re: [Radiance-addons] Radiance installation

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:14:15 -0500

Anthony J. Farrell wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm experiencing some difficulty installing Radiance onto Linux Redhat 9.0;
> furthermore I wish to update the classic version to that which utilising the
> photon map add on (pmap).
>
> Do I simply:
> 1. install the original radiance file  http://www.radiance-online.org onto
> my system first, and then
> 2. install the binary files for linux radbin_lnx_static.tar.gz(21 Megs) ,
> then
> 3. install the pmap patch RADIANCE photon map tarfile
> (http://www.ise.fhg.de/alt-aber-aktiv/radiance/photon-map/)
> 4. Then finally run the MAKEALL program from within (1.) above?
>
> I'm very new to Linux systems and would really appreciate any advice you may
> have to help me install this fine program.

I've never actually used the photon map module, so I can't give any
specifics on installing it.  However, Francesco Anselmo has created a
bunch of pre-made packages for radiance, including one that uses the
photon map.  Head on over to:

http://www.dream.unipa.it/dream/pub/dot/anselmo/radiance/02.php

... for details.  They are based on the official release, but if you
wanna get started with the photon map and are new to installing &
compiling and LINUXing in general, these may be a good way to get your
feet wet.  Good luck!

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]