[Radiance-general] Re: [Radiance-addons] Radiance installation

Roland Schregle [email protected]
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:23:01 +0100

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:
> Anthony J. Farrell wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm experiencing some difficulty installing Radiance onto Linux Redhat
>> 9.0;
>> furthermore I wish to update the classic version to that which
>> utilising the
>> photon map add on (pmap).
>>
>> Do I simply:
>> 1. install the original radiance file  http://www.radiance-online.org
>> onto
>> my system first, and then
>> 2. install the binary files for linux radbin_lnx_static.tar.gz(21 Megs) ,
>> then
>> 3. install the pmap patch RADIANCE photon map tarfile
>> (http://www.ise.fhg.de/alt-aber-aktiv/radiance/photon-map/)
>> 4. Then finally run the MAKEALL program from within (1.) above?
>>
>> I'm very new to Linux systems and would really appreciate any advice
>> you may
>> have to help me install this fine program.
>

> I've never actually used the photon map module, so I can't give any
> specifics on installing it.  However, Francesco Anselmo has created a
> bunch of pre-made packages for radiance, including one that uses the
> photon map.  Head on over to:
>
> http://www.dream.unipa.it/dream/pub/dot/anselmo/radiance/02.php
>
> ... for details.  They are based on the official release, but if you
> wanna get started with the photon map and are new to installing &
> compiling and LINUXing in general, these may be a good way to get your
> feet wet.  Good luck!

Patching is no longer necessary with the current pmap release -- you
just dump the files into the RADIANCE source tree, clobbering those
which were modified as well as adding some new ones. As far as I can
tell, Anselmo's pmap binaries are based on an old release. Since you'll
have to recompile the whole suite anyway, you might as well omit step 2
above. Note that RADIANCE modified with pmap behaves exactly like
RADIANCE Classic unless you explicitly use pmap options. As such, you
don't need the original RADIANCE binaries anyway.

Good luck!

--Roland

--
Roland Schregle
PhD candidate, Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems

END OF LINE. (MCP)