[Radiance-general] Re: os 10.3 panther raypath set

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:03:27 -0500

Jeffrey McGrew wrote:

> I have done this for installing Radiance on Cygwin under Windows 2K
> & for Mandrake Linux. More because I wanted to remember how I got
> them working, so once I did, I wrote out a little how-to.

Is this accessible online someplace?

> And I don't know about OS X; but will be jumping ship to it within
> next year (gonna buy my friend's used G4 when he gets his G5).

You will like it.  Your friend will like his G5 even more, it seems.

But
> one thing that's a pain when installing Radiance, and a major point
> of my confusion when I first started using it, is that the command
> 'rview' is already used on some systems to call upon the VI editor,
> rather than the Radiance command.

Ack!  you're right, and I had meant to post something about that months
ago when I (re)discovered that.  I originally came across that problem
way back in 1996, when I first installed & compiled Radiance on an old
PII/266.  I thought - get this - that something went wrong during the
compile, and that was why vi was loading instead of rview, that somehow
the compile process grabbed bits of vi's source when compiling Radiance.
  What the hell did (do) I know?  It was but one of many false starts in
my Radiance explorations.

> This was true in both the full install of Cygwin & Mandrake. So
> since 10.3 also uses the Bash shell, it could be possible that
> it's the same for 10.3 as well. Just a word of warning.

It's got nothing to do with the shell, the problem is that if you blow
off the default location and install the Radiance binaries someplace
other than /usr/local/bin, even if you place your new location on the
RAYPATH & PATH, it's likely to be lower in priority than the location of
the symbolic link to vim that seems to be present on a LOT of the
current Linux distros.

Kudos for pointing that out to the list, Jeffrey.  I guess most people
just accept the default location for the Radiance binaries so they never
see this problem.  Do a "locate rview" on your systems though; lots of
you will probably see a link in /bin, linking rview to vi...

Greg, maybe a little warning could be added to the install script?

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org