[Radiance-general] Re: os 10.3 panther raypath set

Jeffrey McGrew [email protected]
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:33:38 -0800

> Could someone put together a beginner level unix user step by step
> list of how this is done. I can't wait to get this working! Thanks.

I have done this for installing Radiance on Cygwin under Windows 2K
& for Mandrake Linux. More because I wanted to remember how I got
them working, so once I did, I wrote out a little how-to.

And I don't know about OS X; but will be jumping ship to it within
next year (gonna buy my friend's used G4 when he gets his G5). But
one thing that's a pain when installing Radiance, and a major point
of my confusion when I first started using it, is that the command
'rview' is already used on some systems to call upon the VI editor,
rather than the Radiance command. Once you've got the raypath and
such set, type 'rview' and see what happens. If it opens Vi, or Vim,
then you've got to go in and remove the symbolic links named Rview
that are the cause of this behavor or set your pathing different,
otherwise you won't be able to use Radiance at all.

This was true in both the full install of Cygwin & Mandrake. So
since 10.3 also uses the Bash shell, it could be possible that
it's the same for 10.3 as well. Just a word of warning.

Also O'rilley has a wonderful 'Unix for Mac' kinda book, where
it teaches you how to use your Mac's command line. A large
part of using Radiance effectively is in understanding how
to use the Unix command line effectively, they go hand-in-hand,
so unless you already know a lot about it I'd recommend that
you get a book on it so you don't learn everything the hard
way like I did, and be a pest to others as I was. :)

Jeffrey