[Radiance-general] RPICT problem on Linux

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Sun, 25 May 2003 18:12:51 -0400 (EDT)

Marcus Jacobs wrote:

> I am recieving an error when running both RAD and RPICT on KNOPPIX Linux.
> This flavor of Linux is based on Debian Linux and is run on my computer via
> a boot CD. When running rpict or rad the following error message occurs:
>
> rpict: system - cannot open header file "/usr/tmp/rtDjYQSQ": No such file or
> directory
>
> I have run rpict on KNOPPIX many times and I have never recieved this error.
> Now all of a sudden, I cant run anything. This is why it is so frustrating
> because I can not ever diagnose what the problem is. To let you know, I have
> set the path of RAYPATH and this does not seem to help. I have run the same
> files on the Windows version of Radaince and I have recieved no such errors.

On unix systems, Radiance insists on storing its temporary
files in "/usr/tmp". Some Linux installations don't have this
directory, working with the more standards conforming "/var/tmp"
instead. Looks like you are currently running such a system.

I think that Radiance should be more flexible in this point, but
for the moment, it will be enough for you to create a symbolic
link pointing from "/usr/tmp" to "/var/tmp", like this:

$> ln -s /var/tmp /usr/tmp

Obviously, you need to be root do this.  Once that link is in
place, your problem will go away.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/