[Radiance-general] Re: direct/indirect photometric

John An [email protected]
Mon, 26 May 2003 10:14:41 -0400

> Some improvements have been made to ies2rad since the book was
> published, and direct/indirect fixtures should produce better
> renderings now, I believe.
>
> However, if you want to insert your own visible luminaire geometry, the
> -i option is the way, but do not replace the geometry that ies2rad
> produces.  Instead, make sure that the illum sphere you specify
> encloses the geometry you add for your visible fixture, and create this
> fixture using "glow" modifiers for the emitting surfaces rather than
> "light" or "illum" materials.
>
> I hope this helps.
> -Greg

Greg,

Wouldn't I need to modify the illum sphere when I'm creating a linear
fluorescent luminaire so that the illum geometry fits tightly around
the long luminaire?  Is it ok to create a sphere with a radius of 2
feet for a 4 feet long luminaire, and then just leave it alone?

John