[Radiance-general] Re: rendering parameters

Greg Ward [email protected]
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:04:30 -0800

Hi Ada,

I think there's no way to do this correctly without understanding and
hacking the source code in src/rt/normal.c.  That's what I had to do to
generate this image in the first place.  If you just want a copy of the
image, I would be happy to provide one.  You won't be able to get this
result by altering the command line options or the material parameters
alone.  If your specular surface(s) has zero roughness, you might be
able to get close by rendering pictures of your scene with and without
the specular component(s), and subracting the resulting pictures.  As
for separating the interreflected component, the same picture
subtraction should work between one rendered with -ab 1 -av [whatever]
and -ab 0 -av 0 0 0.

To subtract two images:

	pcomb img1.pic -s -1 img2.pic > img1-img2.pic

The images must be rendered at the same size and resolution, setting
the rpict parameters -pj 0 and -ps 1.  You can pass the result through
pfilt to improve the final appearance, but I don't recommend doing it
before.

I hope this helps.
-Greg