[Radiance-general] Re: Multi spectral rendering

Greg Ward [email protected]
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:53:23 -0700

Hi Andrew,

Since we needed to make exact comparisons between rendered images by
pixel subtraction, I gave up on my efforts to run Radiance many times
for spectral sampling, and we used my coauthor's (Elena's) Monte Carlo
ray-tracer, instead.  If regenerating the exact samples isn't an issue
for you, you probably can run Radiance many times, however, and others
have done this.

The best way to do it for non-human consumption is to defined many
materials files, one for every three samples, and render from these in
a for loop.  The only place RGB is assumed in the code is when it's
combining primaries to get brightness for a weight test or somesuch,
and it shouldn't affect the result much for adjacent samples, which
should be fairly similar.

Good luck!
-Greg