[Radiance-general] Question about transdata usage

Peter Apian-Bennewitz [email protected]
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:00:27 +0200

Georg Mischler wrote:

>Mark Stock wrote:
>

>>Okay, I think I've figured it out. The ridiculously high
>>rendering times are from the trans-trans-mixdata simulation
>>with a tspec of 0.5 on the "issmoke" material. I have the tspec
>>at 0.1 now, and it seems to render in a much more reasonable
>>time, *and* the cloud volume self-shadows beautifully.
>>

>Since you apparently are trying to model clouds (resp. smoke)
>here, have you looked at the "mist" material? I'm not sure
>about the performance implications, but the visual result
>would certainly get a lot closer to what you're after.
>

>-schorsch

as far as I recall looking at this some months ago, mist does show light
cones (by volume scattering), but one convex hull of material 'mist'
for one cloud doesn't represent the different paths through the cloud
when viewed from different eye positions. The function file would have
to depend on position on the hull and view direction at that position.
That's somewhere in the manual too. - Probably not too difficult to get
the line integrals right for some "mildly behaved" density distribution
inside the cloud. Any nice examples much appreciated.
-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de