[Radiance-general] Compilation on Solaris 8 SPARC

Len Laughridge [email protected]
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:59:28 -0400

Hello:

I'm having difficulty getting Radiance complied on Solaris 8. (Note:  I
successfully compiled and generated test images on SuSE Linux 8.0)

The system is an Enterprise250, 2x400MHz processors with 1GB RAM and gigs of
available storage.  It's running Solaris 8, 07/01 Release, with the latest
8_Recommended patch cluster (Kernel version: SunOS 5.8 Generic 108528-14
February 2002)

I have all GNU tools from the Solaris Companion CD installed, (gcc & gmake).

I have tried running ./makeall install two different ways without success,
and I've tried each way using both the default directories (/usr/local/....)
and my preferred directories (/usr/local/radiance/bin
/usr/local/radiance/lib)

1.  Using the Solaris cc and make, virtually nothing works.  I get the
'language optional package not installed' error on pretty much every instance
of cc being invoked.  I decided that it was probably better to pursue the GNU
route, so...

2.  Using gcc and gmake, my rmake file is as follows:

#!/bin/sh
exec gmake "SPECIAL=ogl" \
        "OPT=-O -DSPEED=80" \
        "MACH=-DALIGN=double -I/usr/openwin/include -L/usr/openwin/lib
-DNOSTEREO
-DDCL_ATOF -DBIGMEM" \
        ARCH=sun "COMPAT=bmalloc.o strcmp.o getpagesize.o" \
        INSTDIR=/usr/local/radiance/bin \
        LIBDIR=/usr/local/radiance/lib \
        CC=gcc "$@" -f Rmakefile

...and I've set $RAYPATH to .:/usr/local/radiance/lib  all to no avail.  Some
things compile and install, but I get at least one instance of the following:

error.c:37: `sys_nerr' undeclared (first use in this function)
error.c:37: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
error.c:37: for each function it appears in.)
error.c:38: `sys_errlist' undeclared (first use in this function)
gmake: *** [error.o] Error 1

...and  more importantly, pretty much all of the applications fail in the
following manner:

gcc -I../common -L../lib -O -DSPEED=80 -DALIGN=double -I/usr/openwin/include
-L/usr/openwin/lib -DNOSTEREO -DDCL_ATOF -DBIGMEM   -c -o psign.o psign.c
gcc -I../common -L../lib -O -DSPEED=80 -DALIGN=double -I/usr/openwin/include
-L/usr/openwin/lib -DNOSTEREO -DDCL_ATOF -DBIGMEM -o psign psign.o -lrt -lm
fputformat                          psign.o
bmalloc                             psign.o
uniftext                            psign.o
printargs                           psign.o
setcolr                             psign.o
newheader                           psign.o
proptext                            psign.o
error                               psign.o
fwritecolrs                         psign.o
getfont                             psign.o
squeeztext                          psign.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to psign
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [psign] Error 1

gmake: *** [rhinfo] Error 1
gcc -I../common -L../lib -O -DSPEED=80 -DALIGN=double -I/usr/openwin/include
-L/usr/openwin/lib -DNOSTEREO -DDCL_ATOF -DBIGMEM   -c -o rhdisp.o rhdisp.c
rhdisp.c: In function `disp_wait':
rhdisp.c:168: structure has no member named `_IO_read_end'
rhdisp.c:168: structure has no member named `_IO_read_ptr'
rhdisp.c:170: structure has no member named `_IO_read_end'
rhdisp.c:170: structure has no member named `_IO_read_ptr'
gmake: *** [rhdisp.o] Error 1

So at the end it says, in either irony or understatement 'There were some
errors'.

I read Greg's posting about the libtiff issues with compiling on Solaris 8.
Following those instructions allows me to get the px stuff compiled, but the
rest of the program is my biggest headache right now.

Am I going down the wrong path by using gcc & gmake?
What else do I need to do to make this work?  I desperately need to make this
work in the next few days so that I can test the other elements of the system
and meet my deadline (Radfront, ArrisCAD integration, rendering throught the
Sun Grid Engine on 30 SunBlade 100 workstations).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  I'm looking forward to making a bunch
of architects very, very happy....

--
Len Laughridge
Director of Information Technology