[Radiance-general] An open materials library?

Lars O. Grobe [email protected]
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:09:40 +0200

Hi!

> It'll be very valuable to get feedback from users how they would use any
> form of catalogue - education or project work, for filling in data when
> no materials are given in a project or for matching a given material in
> a project ?
>
> I had the idea of compiling a reference sample catalogue, around 8-12
> material samples (e.g. 3x6cm) initially, plus their measurement data and
> fitted Radiance model. Would be quite handy for projects and feasible
> too, using my 12 year old, still used and fully automated
> gonio-photometer at FhG-ISE or a newer one, but I doubted there'll be
> enough interest.

I think a even little catalogue with maybe a few materials would be great,
not with the standard materials, but with those one can't easily describe
without special measurement hardware (e.g. I still don't know how to describe
a surface of gold mosaic). I am working with radiance for university projects
here. On the other hand, I have my little collection of marble surfaces that
I got from my current work.

BTW, while not really fitting to the subject line, do you have a MacOS X
version of rshow? A friend of mine started with radiance on OS X, and there
is a nice previewer missing ;-)

CU Lars.