[Radiance-general] An open materials library?

Carsten Bauer [email protected]
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 21:43:09 +0200

Hi,

its an iteresting coincidence that this question is asked right now. I
did spend some work on this, too, however tackling the topic from a
completely different, namely the aesthetical/visualisation point of
view. It will be a part of my short presentation at the workshop in
sept/oct.
Generally, I judge something like a materials library a necessary thing
not only for beginners but for all users, especially the ones without
programming experience. As Rob already pointed out, this doesn't have to
be a 1000-entry catalogue, just a set of examples which covers usual
applications and, more important, offers a guideline to the matter for
each user to create new descriptions fitting the individual needs.
Applying a material description to an object is already difficult enough
within Radiance :), but this is another matter..

-cb