[Radiance-general] XYZ to RGB conversion - neutral color is not neutral

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 10:00:35 PST 2018

Hi Kynthia,

Under what lighting does your wall look white?  Your Z value is larger than your Y value, indicating a blue tint under D65 (outdoor) illumination.  This is sometimes the case with white surfaces, where they add extra blue to make the wall appear whiter under interior lighting.  I don't think your color calculation is wrong, although the values are out of range for plastic by a factor of 100 because your measured values are in percent.

You should try measuring the XYZ values under EE (equal energy) white rather than D65.  This will avoid color shifts in your conversion, as xyz_rgb.cal assumes equal-energy white for the XYZ measurements, and this is the same illuminant Radiance assumes in its RGB color space.

Cheers,
-Greg