[Radiance-general] XYZ to RGB conversion - neutral color is not neutral

Chamilothori Kynthia kynthia.chamilothori at epfl.ch
Thu Feb 8 07:40:41 PST 2018

Dear Radiance community,

I would like your feedback on -another- XYZ to RBG conversion.
I have measurements in the XYZ colorspace from a CM-600d Konica Minolta Spectrophotometer with settings for a 2 degree standard observer and a D65 standard illuminant, both with the specular component included (SCI) and excluded (SCE).

First, I am assuming that I should use the SCE measurements for the plastic materials.
As an example, my SCE measurements of a white wall are X 81.05, Y 85.61 and Z 86.95.

When using the xyz_rgb.cal, the resulting color is R 73.3782327 G 90.3295341 B 86.8467252 - a clearly blue/green color!

Same thing happens when using the Colour Picker for Radiance (http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/colour_picker/index.shtml) for a CIE XYZ (1931) input; but not when using the Colour Picker from an older page (http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/cp4r.shtml), where the result is R 0.944 G 0.934 B 0.901.
The latter is a neutral color that looks correct, and is also the result when using easyrgb.com and specifying the observer and illuminant.

My guess is that I am missing a conversion regarding the illuminant - do you maybe have any input on what I am doing wrong with xyz_rgb.cal?

Thank you for your time and knowledge!
Kynthia