[Radiance-general] perfect specular reflection in rtrace

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:04:50 PDT 2017

Hi Antoine,

Using the mirror material should work, but I forgot to mention that it's a one-sided effect.  You need to be looking at the front of your surface rather than the backside, which means the vertices need to be ordered counter-clockwise from the side you're looking at.

I didn't check initially, but the surface is the wrong way around from your selected evaluation point.  Your sun is also on the wrong side.  If you reverse the order of your polygon vertices, then it should work as expected.

The photon-mapping approach, which is now built into Radiance, should also work.  It is a more complex solution, but necessary when the reflecting surfaces are curved.

Cheers,
-Greg