[Radiance-general] RAYPATH problems

David Gissen dgissen at cca.edu
Tue May 16 09:37:36 PDT 2017

Hello Everyone: I learned a little unix to be able to work with Radiance
(for some upcoming projects that require me to reconstruct very specific
lighting conditions), but I am running into some problems:

I followed the instructions for installing Radiance on Mac OSx (10.11.6)

created a file ~/.bashrc with the following arguments:
export PATH=/usr/local/radiance/bin:$PATH
export RAYPATH=.:/usr/local/radiance/lib

I followed Greg W's Radiance Ch. 1 tutorial and successfully modeled a
sphere on a pedestal and in a room (exciting).

However, when I tried to do more sophisticated work (the Image Mapping
tutorials by Axel Jacobs in the Radiance Cookbook), I received an error
that "picture.cal" does not exist.

I ran "ls -la /usr/local/radiance/lib" and noticed that picture.cal was
missing. After poking around, I discovered another path to /radiance/lib
and then ran "ls -la /opt/rad4/radiance-5.0.a.12-Darwin/usr/local/radiance/lib"
and found picture.cal as well as many other files not in the original
directory path above. I copied picture.cal into the directory for the
RAYPATH, but still received the error.

Anyway, I tried re-setting RAYPATH to
"/opt/rad4/radiance-5.0.a.12-Darwin/usr/local/radiance/lib"
(as well as =.:/opt/rad4/radiance-5.0.a.12-Darwin/usr/local/radiance/lib)
but I still received an error that picture.cal was missing. I finally
figured out a very kludgy way to get the missing files in radiance/lib to
work (by copying them into the current working directory), but I want to
get the RAYPATH working properly.

Does anyone have advice/help?

Thank you very much, David