[Radiance-general] DEM to .rad pipeline

Ian Seiferling ianseifs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:36:01 PST 2017

Hello Radiance community,

I am very new to radiance and thus this may come across as a novice or
naive question. I hope to use radiance to model daylight on exterior
surfaces. The geometry I work with are DEMs typically coming in raster
(geotiff) format.

Can anyone suggest a most efficient (or path of least resistance) workflow
to translate the DEMs into Radiance scene description file?

I can convert the raster DEM into one of the many vectorized mesh-based
formats (i.e., some type of CAD format); but am hoping the community may
have some insight here to help narrow this down for me (best CAD file
type). It seems a triangle-mesh file would be ideal; wonder if there is
software that export this file type?

Any advice, references to plug-ins or tips would be most appreciated!

Sincerely,
Ian

--
*I A N  S E I F E R L I N G *PhD
ianseifs at mit.edu
Postdoctoral Fellow | MIT Senseable City Laboratory
<http://senseable.mit.edu>

77 Massachusetts Avenue 9-209
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
ianseiferling.com <http://www.ianseiferling.com/>