[Radiance-general] Three Phase Simulation rfluxmtx switches for view mtx

Sandi Sirikhanchai sandi.sirikhanchai at hotmail.co.nz
Fri Dec 15 01:09:24 PST 2017

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with the rfluxmtx switches when creating a View Matrix.

First of all as I am new to this I am following three different sources to compare the commands and outcomes.
The three documents I am following are:

  *   Andy McNeil’s Radiance Three Phase Method Tutorial published on GitBook.
  *   Andy McNeils BSDFs, Matrices and Phases - Presentation slides on Sept 1, 2014 and
  *   Sarith Subramaniam’s Daylighting Simulations with Radiance using Matrix-Based Methods.

The switches used in the above sources vary between the examples and also Sarith’s method uses an octree. As I still do not have a strong grasp of radiance and the switches yet which one would be best to follow? What’s the difference? I am currently testing them all out.

When I use the example lines from the documents above to create a vmtx, I have a recurring issue with -vf. The bash will say “rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf”. I posted earlier this month about something similar and all I had to do is retype the switch as it copied in a dash not a hyphen. I thought this issue might be the same case however “rfluxmtx: cannot load -vf” still appears. If I delete -vf file.vf  I will get another error saying “rfluxmtx: cannot load -x” and this continues with all the other switches.

When I use Sarith’s view matrix example I get the same thing but for -ab: “rfluxmtx: cannot load -ab”.

After trying all the different examples from the different sources a view matrix file was generated but nothing was created inside. I also tried the older method using rcontrib which generated a view file but only had rows and columns full of zeros. (In regards to using rcontrib, I am also using rvu to generate a rendered view matrix and believe I am using a newer version of radiance affecting the ability to use rvu).

I am following the examples from the three sources but using my own rad files and mat files. Does anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong? Is it likely to be how radiance is set up on my computer?

Any insight would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,
Sandi Sirikhanchai