[Radiance-general] Radiance-general Digest, Vol 166, Issue 13

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 08:44:10 PST 2017

Hi Marouane,

Looking at your original post again, I would say that relying on rtrace and the default calculation to determine the tiny bit of light that bounces many times between closely-spaced diffuse surfaces and makes it into your room is the problem.  This is very close to a "worst case" scenario for indirect irradiance caching, so I would switch this off, at least for your rtrace calculation.  It will still be very expensive to compute the light through this system, but you can try something like:

	rtrace -I+ -aa 0 -ad 1024 -as 1024 -ab 10 -lw 1e-4 -lr -12

The other option is to use a more modest irradiance caching operation with the BSDF you have computed.  You do not need to use the system geometry, as it seems the elements are too thick to let direct light through in any case, which was my initial (incorrect) assumption.

Best,
-Greg