[Radiance-general] rtrace values too low compared to 3-phase method

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 12:58:18 PST 2017

Hi Marouane,

Which version of Radiance are you using?  (I.e., what does "rtrace -version" say?)

There are difficulties finding transmitted solar radiation through unproxied BSDF materials before the 5.1 release.  The latest release adds a new calculation called "peak extraction" that attempts to identify strong peaks in the BSDF view component that it treats separately.  The solution is not perfect, but it generally leads to more correct results in such cases.

Another approach if you are starting from a geometric description of your fenestration and using genBSDF is the +geom option, which includes the system geometry in the XML file.  You can then apply "pkgBSDF" to translate this geometry and surround it with appropriate proxy surfaces, so that your rays will pass through and generate the correct patterns on your interior surfaces, as well as giving you a correct view through the fenestration system.

If you are using genBSDF, what options did you include?  How did you describe the actual BSDF surface(s) in your model?

Best,
-Greg