[Radiance-general] Images too bright with gendaylit

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Tue Aug 8 08:03:36 PDT 2017

Yes; exposure affects the appearance of the image but not the underlying
photo/radiometric values, or pixel data if you will. A Radiance image is
this amazing collection of spot meter data, basically. I’m not sure I
understand your last statement there, about the “illumination [being]
consistent”.

You can take a Radiance luminance image and run it through pcond to
'tonemap' the image and create all kinds of valuable effects. The simplest
is the '-h' option, which will map the pixel luminance according to human
vision capability. Thus, creating an image that conveys the appearance of
the scene as viewed by a human observer in that scene.

The main takeaway is that the raw Radiance images are physically accurate,
yet you are viewing them on dynamic range-limited devices, so they will be
hard-pressed to “look right”.

- Rob