[Radiance-general] Skyvector from gensky vs. gendaylit

Achim Geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Fri May 20 10:27:43 PDT 2016

Hi Greg,

in the mean time, I have been experimenting quite a bit and the problem seems to have been that my approaches weren’t actually really identical (the stupid part). This is what I did:

===
Setting up:
===
# Assemble gendaylit command line components
month='6'
day='21'
time="12"
datetime="$month $day $time"
lat='47.5'
lon='-7.6'     # west +, east -
meridian='-1'  # "hours diff from UTC", west +, east -
diffhor='334'
dirnorm='541'
mer=$(echo $meridian |rcalc -e '$1=$1*15')
radiation="$dirnorm $diffhor"

# Build command lines ...
# ... for gendaylit / -O 1 is solar spectrum, -O 0 is visual spectrum
gdlcmd="$datetime -a $lat -o $lon -m $mer -W $radiation -O 1"

# ... for gensky
gskcmd="$datetime -a $lat -o $lon -m $mer -B $diffhor"

# and for genskyvec
#gsvcmd=" "
gsvcmd="-c 1 1 1"

===
Now use:
===
# Generate sky description with gendaylit and generate sky views
skyvec=$(gendaylit $gdlcmd | genskyvec $gsvcmd -m 1)
echo $skyvec > gendaylit_vec.skv

# Now generate sky with gensky and repeat view generation
gensky $gskcmd | genskyvec $gsvcmd -m 1 > gensky_vec.skv

===
… that was were I wrote below initial post. Now, if I either do

gendaylit $gdlcmd | genskyvec $gsvcmd -m 1 > gendaylit_vec.skv

directly or “indirectly” write the gensky-based output via “skyvec=$(…” both approaches behave the same, after all. However, with the “indirect” procedure, I end up with a single line. Luckily, I have found a way to re-order the data via sed (long live the net!).

Is there a logical explanation, why the “EOLs” get lost for the “indirect” procedure?

Thanks.
Best
Achim

achim.geissler at intergga.ch