[Radiance-general] mirror material ignoring modifier in virtual source calculations

goodriver laurus rioboo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:56:25 PDT 2016

Hi Greg,

I am sending you a simple test with my results, so you can have a look
if you have the time. I have included a small batch file to run the
calculation under MS-DOS (I had to change the extension to bat2 in
order to avoid the attachment to be blocked).

In answer to your questions:

1- I was testing different sun positions, but the test attached
includes only one. This should suffice to try different angles of
incidence, since every reflector has a different orientation.

2- I am not sure if I understand this point. I do see different values
where direct and reflected components converge, is that the question?

3- I checked the normals and they point outwards, but I guess that was
expected since I can see the reflections and the camera is located
outside the buildings.

I greatly appreciate your help, this issue is really puzzling me.

Many thanks,

Rioboo

Hi Rioboo,

Your definition looks correct to me.  What different conditions are
you using to make this determination?

1) Do you change the angle of the sun?  This is the only way to test
different angles on the mirror, since the sun is a collimated source
of light.

2) When you change the solar angle, do you move your point or at least
ensure that it remains in the reflected beam?  If it sees sunlight
directly as well, you will need to look for variation in the 8-80%
that is reflected (depending on angle).

3) Are you sure your mirror surface normal faces outwards?  If it
faces inwards, like most windows in Radiance, then the mirrored
sources will only happen on the interior.

Cheers,