[Radiance-general] how to get luminance false color images

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Thu Jul 14 10:25:07 PDT 2016

Hi Violetta,

There is no "Radiance.exe"; there is no manageable way to provide desktop icons for all the Radiance tools. They are intended to be called from the command line interface (CLI). The whole process of getting a Radiance model to produce meaningful results is very tunable, and relies heavily on the unix "toolbox" model, where you pass in some stuff on one program, and take the output of that program and send it to another one in the tool chain. It's wholly different from double clicking on an icon and accessing menus, and in my opinion, it's way more fun.

The NREL Windows installer places all the Radiance programs wherever you ask it to. Normally, this is in "C:\ProgramFiles\Radiance\bin", or something similar. You need to add this location to your system PATH, and also the "C:\ProgramFiles\Radiance\lib" directory to an environment variable called "RAYPATH".  There are other posts on this list and on the internet(s) that describe how to set these environment variables, if you are not familiar. Once these things are done, you would call the tools you need directly from the CLI, e.g.:

oconv.exe my_model.rad > my_model.oct
rcontrib.exe [options] my_model.oct | etc...

- Rob