[Radiance-general] Research tools: who what which how?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:48:36 PDT 2016

Hi Chris,

I have the same issue with passing familiarity with too many languages.  Despite having written a whole GUI in Tcl/Tk, I have a horrible time understanding even what I've written in the language.  In contrast, even the most obfuscated bit of code in C seems easy enough to follow.

Perl is somewhere in-between for me.  It's a bit ugly, but similar enough to C for me to follow along without having to struggle too much.  I can't say the same for Python or even C++, mostly because I never really got comfortable with the object-oriented approach, despite having spent more than half my programming career employing it.  I'm definitely one of those reluctant adopters, where most of my C++ code follows a strong procedural bent.

I agree with what you said earlier about the advantage of scripting is that you can go freely between command-line and batch file.  It makes the evolution from running a few commands until you get it right to putting what you need in a script so much easier.  Unfortunately, there isn't one command interpreter that works cross-platform, which is why we have the issue with too many C-shell utilities in Radiance.

-Greg