[Radiance-general] Question: epw file --> gencumulativesky (ish) -->rendering --> pfilt --> falsecolor --> Analysis

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 05:57:46 PST 2015

Dear Everyone,

I am trying to use gencumulativesky, but I have encounter some issues that
I would like to share, just in case anyone can help me... I searched a
while, but I found nothing like really useful.

My doubts are basically in every step, haha... sorry this will be long.

   - *gencumulativesky*

I compiled gencumulativesky as mentioned in the "Readme" file, and it
worked perfectly well. However, when I intended to use it,
*I got a segmentation fault. what could be causing it?*

My data was obtained from an EPW file, obtaining 8760 lines organized in
two columns (Global Horizontal and Diffuse Horizontal Radiation) separated
with tabs:
0    0
0    0
0    0
0    0
0    0
3    3
69    61
267    155

When I found out it did not work, I thought on an alternative option that I
would like to know if it is ok.

What I did was to generate de daymtx (i.e. gendaymtx -O1 -...) and then,
using a perl script, add all the values for each bin, obtaining a vector...
then, write it on a .cal file (based on Reinhart.cal) as:

{   MODIFIED WARD's REINHART.CAL

    AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED USING cSKY by GERMAN MOLINA
}

rbin = if (-alt, 0, raccum(r_row) + r_azn + 1);

skybright = select(rbin,bin1, bin2, bin3, ...... binN); {this is the vector}

I am using a gray sky, so the patch value added considers only the red
channel... that is, the value of bin1, bin2, bin3, etc. is the sum of all
the red values for each bin along the year (i.e. not doing the
179*(R*0.265+G*0.67+B*0.065))

   - *rendering*

I am rendering using rpict -i+

   -
*pfilt *

As mentioned in the documentation provided with gencumulativesky, I had to
modify the -h option for it to work... *Does that affect my results?* (i.e.
units)

   - *falsecolor*

Here I am just applying Falsecolor doing:

falsecolor -l kWh/m2 -s a -m 0.001 #change the multiplier in order to get
kWh

   - *Analysis*

Doing this... are my units correct?

That is basically it.

Here are picture of some results
<https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2NfkTSl19hQaXo2TmNiX0ZJcEk&usp=sharing>...
I do not even know if the values make sense...

THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE, SORRY FOR THE LONG E-MAIL

Germán