[Radiance-general] Weighting factors used in the irradiance calculation

parisa khademagha p.khademagha at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 06:04:12 PDT 2015

Hi Greg and Jan,

Thank you for your detailed replies!

Here is my precise application: I want to use Radiance to estimate/simulate
the effective irradiance with respect to the C-lambda.

First option is to use different (-0.034 IR + 0.323 IG + 0.558 IB)
weighting functions for C-lambda as suggested by Geisler-Moroder & Dur
(2010) in their paper (entitled *‘**Estimating melatonin suppression and
photosynthesis activity in real-world scenes from computer generated
images’*). My question is whether using these C-lambda weighting functions
is a correct way of getting effective irradiance with respect to C-lambda
in W/m2 or not?

Second option is to use the spectral rendering as suggested by Ruppertsberg
& Bloj (2008) in their paper (entitled *‘Creating physically accurate
visual stimuli for free: Spectral rendering with RADIANCE’*) . In this case
my question is how can I spectrally model the sky?

Cheers,

Parisa