[Radiance-general] Radiance Installation and Running

Axel Jacobs jacobs.axel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:04:04 PDT 2015

Hi Ikrima,

If you need to run Radiance on a non-Windows platform, you can
essentially go MacOS or LINUIX (e.g. Ubuntu).

It's probably a good idea to rely in NREL's binaries:
https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/
unless, that is, you want to compile from source.  But this is rather
more difficult.

Your choice of MacOS vs LINUX will not only depend on the hardware
that you have available, but also on the support you can get from your
local IT support..

Have a look at the Running LEARNIX pdf on this page:
http://www.jaloxa.eu/mirrors/learnix/docs.shtml to see whether one of
the available options might suit you.  The document is fairly old, and
I never found the time to actually finish it.  I think that installing
Ubuntu into a VirtualBox virtual machine is quite a good solution.
This is how I used to run all Radiance jobs at my previous place of
work.  The big advantage is that you can Windows and LINUX at the same
time, but you need lots of RAM for this (I recommend at least 8GB).

Hope this gets you started.

Best

Axel