[Radiance-general] Three-Phase Method _ Sky Vector - Daylight Matrix

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:16:42 PDT 2015

Urtza,

*Regarding question 1.*

The CIE Overcast sky is simetric and independent of the date and location.
That means that it does not matter if you rotate your model and the sky or
change the location and the date, it will always return the same vector
when fed into genskyvec.

Genskyvec approximate the sky as "finite elements" of constant Radiance. I
understand this is done using Ray-tracing. That means that each patch
(element of the sky vector) will have a different value that correspond to
this approximation.

Finally, the sky vector does not depend on the model just as the sun's
position does not depend on the orientation of your apartment. However, I
understand it is possible to calculate a rotated sky vector. This is faster
than performing all calculations again with a rotated model (i.e. if you
rotate the sky clockwise, it is the same as rotating the model counter
clock wise).

*Regarding question 2.*
Klems divition is always the same divition. However, the direction used to
trace rays (for sampling and calculating the View matrix) will depend on
the orientation of the window. This is the same as saying that the same
camera will give you different images if pointing on different directions.

I hope I understood your questions and that my answers help

Best,

Germán