[Radiance-general] problem of gencumulativesky driven through Python

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Thu Feb 19 22:42:31 PST 2015

--------
WARNING: At least one of the links in the message below goes to an .exe file,
which could be malicious. To learn how to protect yourself, please go here:
https://commons.lbl.gov/x/_591B
--------

Hi Joe,

I haven't automated gencumulativesky through Python, but I do a fair
amount of automation of Radiance commands using Python. I find that most
commands will not work unless you run the command with shell emulation
enabled. I'm not familiar with os.system or os.popen, but this is an
example of my process using the subprocess module, and I hope it helps you.

    import subprocess as sp

    process = sp.Popen(['pcomb', '-e', '(expresssion)',
    fullpath_hdr_fname, '|', 'pvalue', '-d', '-b', '-h', '-H', '>',
    'tmp.txt'], *shell=True*)

    process.wait()

Note that the subprocess Popen command takes a list of individual
command elements, and the shell=True portion is crucial.

 > /Moreover, I got a lot more error messages when running the
gencumulativesky program directly in the terminal of Mac OS X using
Singapore's weather file:/
I am not sure where the 'official' gencumulative sky is available from
these days, but we noticed an issue way back in 2012 thanks to some
sleuthing from Ji Zhang
<http://diva4rhino.com/forum/topics/gencumulativesky-exe-problem>, and a
patched version was issued. Unfortunately, I only have the Windows
binary of the fixed version, and the code is not open. A kind of dumb
fix is to reverse your longitude input, as I believe the original
version had issues with areas in the eastern hemisphere.

Best,
Alstan