[Radiance-general] strange artifacts in rendering

Minjung Kim mkim85 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:30:37 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I am getting strange artifacts in my renderings, and am wondering which
parameters to tweak in order to get rid of them. The artifacts look like a
white, or sometimes half-black and half-white, patch at random locations.
See below for examples:

http://minjung.ca/tmp/artifacts1.png
http://minjung.ca/tmp/artifacts2.png

I've tried (1) setting ad = 4096, as = 1024, and (2) setting aa = 0, ar =
0, but neither of these two settings fixed the problem. Do you have any
idea what might be happening? Here are some possibly relevant factors:

- The object is completely Lambertian.
- The only light source in the scene is a glow source that is positioned
behind the camera, and covers as much of the sky as possible.
- I don't think I've ever encountered such artifacts with untextured
stimuli.  I could be wrong, though.

Thanks in advance!

MJ