[Radiance-general] help pfilt and low values dgp

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Tue Aug 11 08:33:38 PDT 2015

Hi Jasper,

This is one of the tricky aspects of doing glare analysis with your own
HDR images. A couple of pointers are below,

  * You will need to crop your image to a square aspect about the image
    center using the pcompos
    <http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/man_html/pcompos.1.html> tool.
    There was a helpful discussion on maintaining image exposure values
    while doing this here
    <http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2011-March/007701.html>.
  * The -vv and -vh parameters are just best guesses according the HDR
    generation software. Once you have cropped the image, you will want
    to open the resulting HDR in a text editor and manually change the
    header 'VIEW' field to include -vta -vv 180 -vh 180. You may also
    specify them via the command line at this point, as you have done. I
    like to keep it associated with the image.
  * After that, unless I am forgetting something (others can chime in),
    you are ready to run evalglare. I would run it with the -d flag,
    which will report a lot of details. Most usefully, it reports
    illuminance as derived from the image, which you can compare to your
    measured Ev value to check the validity of the HDR. If your HDR is
    well-calibrated, not inputting the measured illuminance value should
    be perfectly accurate.
  * I suspect that inputting measured illuminance is somewhat broken in
    the current version of evalglare as I have the same problem that you
    do. One option is to use the -1 option to evalglare, which will
    return only a single DGP value. It seems to avoid this error.
     > evalglare -1 -i 2500 image.hdr

By the way, to avoid some of this cropping and exposure value pain, I
use an image-processing tool (like PIL for Python) these days that can
maintain EXIF data while cropping the source jpeg files. Though perhaps
the cure is worse than the disease in this case..

Best,
Alstan