[Radiance-general] Irradiance map

Jiajie Zhu jonathan.zhu.uk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 09:31:13 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am trying to calculate an irradiance map on the ground level in front of a
concaved building facade for an instant time at a specific location. Here is
the problems that I have:

1.       If I use the glass type material for the building facade with -i
option in rpict, there will be no facade in the final result. I have checked
the manual page that I know it is because of the Boolean calculation will
ignore the transparent surface in the final result. But I do need the facade
to be seen in the final result, how can I solve it.

2.       I found in the result that if I use the glass type material, no
matter how low I set the transmissivity values, there will always no
'hotspot'/convergent irradiance on the ground level. It seems that the
program just ignore the reflection process on the glass surface.

3.       If I change the facade material to mirror type, I can find an
obvious 'hotspot' on the ground level as well as the facade in the final
result. So I just wonder is it proper to modify the facade material into a
mirror type if I am only interested in the exterior irradiance map of a
building. Besides, if mirror type material can be used in my situation, how
can I set the RGB reflectance values for mirror? For example, if the facade
glass has a 40% transmittance, is it equivalent to set RGB values into 0.6
0.6 0.6 for a mirror material?

Many Thanks,

Jiajie