[Radiance-general] Effect of -aa parameter on Rpict Rendering Accuracy

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Thu Aug 6 08:12:46 PDT 2015

Someone with better understanding of the math of it might hopefully chime in, but my understanding has been that the phrase "and approximately represents the error that is associated with it" - which I think is from the manual page - may cause some undue concern. Similar to recommendations for setting the other parameters, if you want test for stable results, instead of jumping from 0.2 all the way to the extreme 0.01, you might try 0.15, 0.125, 0.1, 0.075 until you don't notice any difference in your results from one to the next. I think you mentioned testing various values for -aa, and what change in results did you see? -aa will sometimes have a stronger impact on rendering time than it does on your results depending on the geometric scale of pixels/points you're trying to discern accurately from your image.

A second note, if you're running -aa 0 you probably want -ps 1 and you want to render an image several times larger than your intended result and filter it down to reduce noise. I'm not sure of the numerical accuracy of this technique but I think this is the usual recommendation. If you were using rtrace for point calculations I suppose the noise introduced in -aa 0 is more visual and should be averaged out in the contributions as measured at the point (if I'm thinking about it clearly), but maybe not if using rtrace without the -I parameter?

Hopefully I'm not oversimplifying, and I make my comments hoping someone will correct my misunderstandings and further expand on it.

-Chris