[Radiance-general] Effect of -aa parameter on Rpict Rendering Accuracy

Kolomenski, Andrei (JSC-SF311)[WYLE INTEG. SCI. & ENG.] andrei.kolomenski at nasa.gov
Thu Aug 6 07:34:33 PDT 2015

Hello Radiance Community,

The -aa input argument to rpict controls the ambient accuracy of the rendering and approximately represents the error that is associated with it. I ran some tests varying the -aa parameter while holding all other input parameters constant. To my surprise, the execution of a rendering with -aa 0 took 1.6 hours and the a rendering with -aa 0.01 has taken 15 hours and has only finished 28%.

What is considered to be the most accurate rendering? One with no ambient interpolation (-aa 0) or a low error interpolation (-aa 0.01) ?

Overall, what rpict input parameters that will produce the most accurate rendering? Currently, I'm using the following parameter settings, for my "truth" renderings that I'm assuming are as accurate as reasonably possible.

General Parameters: -lr 9 -lw 0.0005 -ps 4 -pt 0.05
Specular Parameters: -ss 2 -st 0 -as 256
Direct Parameters: -dr 3 -dp 1024 -ds 0 -dt 0 -dc 1
Ambient Parameters: -ab 11 -aa 0 -ar 256 -ad 2048

Please let me know if you think I'm missing some important parameters that affect the rendering accuracy.

Thank you for your input,
Andrei Kolomenski