[Radiance-general] IES files and MGF geometry

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Wed Nov 5 07:41:17 PST 2014

Ah, I "see". So you have this thing that throws down a great deal, so a
lot of the candelas toward nadir are being mapped to that bottom ring in
the ies2rad translation. My sense is that for the best result you'd want
to use the illum sphere with a large-ish radius ‹ large enough so that the
output gets mapped to points on the sphere that would fall outside the
supporting post impostor geometry, but small enough that the sphere is
high enough off the ground that the projected light looks "right".
Obviously for critical illuminance calcs you could do one run with just
the emitters (which seem to have been used in the images on the
manufacturer's website), and then for visualization you could use the
illum sphere trick, or get fancy with lboxcorr...