[Radiance-general] IES files and MGF geometry

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Wed Nov 5 06:33:46 PST 2014

Hi Axel,

Oh wow, an MGF question. In all my years, never. Wow.

Interesting question. I'm not sure what having the MGF description will
buy you in terms of your problem. The MGF is just a geometry section
AFAIK; the photometry is still tied to the ies-format data, so I don't
think you gain any added flexibility there. Depending on how diffuse the
top and bottom of the luminaire are, you probably *could* remove the rings
and have a reasonably fair distribution for the cylinder, but I'm guessing
they are some really diffuse, blobby lenses and so you're getting some
scatter. Another option would be to generate the simple geometry with
ies2rad and then add some sort of "caps" with added geometry to the top
and bottom of the luminous geometry created from ies2rad. Not sure how
accurate the "thing" needs to look, versus the space lighted by the thing.
If you only care about the distribution, this option may work for you.

- Rob