[Radiance-general] How to verify an IES file ?

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Thu May 22 13:48:07 PDT 2014

I'm late to this party, but I'd add that Axel Jacobs recently added a great Perl script to Radiance called "ltview.pl" which is useful for sanity testing your converted ies files in native Radiance. The script is available here:
https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/blob/combined/src/util/ltview.pl/

...and it's based on a thing I wrote a while back, which is documented here:
http://www.rumblestrip.org/2004/05/10/ltview-a-radiance-utility/

The idea was to look at the actual Radiance light source description that gets created by the ies2rad utility, in actual Radiance, so you are truly seeing what you're gonna get in a Radiance simulation. It's helpful for confirming orientation, distribution, and intensity (by running "trace" commands in the rvu window).

And of course everyone else who has contributed here is spot on. Photometry files are not magic, they are simply formatted data that can contain errors in assumptions and input. The user must know how to read them and be able to do their own fact checking. Familiarity with luminaire testing methods (and there's a big difference between SSL and non-SSL sources) and the IES-LM-63 specification, as well as the whole light loss factor issue which has been discussed, are critical to getting an electric lighting calculation right.

-rob

Rob Guglielmetti
NREL Commercial Buildings Research Group
Golden, CO 80401
robert.guglielmetti at nrel.gov