[Radiance-general] confused by turbidity

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 12:25:50 PST 2014

Hi George,

This is just off the cuff, so you may run into problems with the model, but you can start with a block of ocean water and a solar source:

!gensky 2 1 10:30

void mist seawater
1 sun
0
7 .1 .1 .1 .9 .3 .1 .9

!genbox seawater sea 200 200 100 | xform -t -100 -100 -100

-------
This should generate a 200x200 meter block of ocean 100 meters deep, with sea level referenced to 0.  There won't be any refraction effects or waves, as these would interfere with the calculation of scattering from sunlight, which I presume is the point of this exercise.  Adding objects to the ocean will add interest as you should start to see volumetric shadows if you set your rendering parameters appropriately.

Speaking of parameters, the above values for seawater are really a guess based on the following article by Maffione that Google found for me:

	http://www.tos.org/oceanography/archive/14-3_maffione.pdf

I didn't do a proper job fitting either the plot of eccentricity shown in Fig. 3 or the absorption and scattering in Fig. 5, which I eyeballed.  Fitting the Henyay-Greenstein function for scattering eccentricity I will leave to you.  The formula is:

	P(theta) = (1 - g*g) / (1 + g*g - 2*g*cos(theta))^1.5

Note that it is important to work in meters or convert the values to whatever world coordinates you are using if you prefer feet or fathoms(!)

Best of luck!
-Greg