[Radiance-general] Vertical Sky Component calculation

G antonutto at yahoo.it
Wed Dec 31 07:28:04 PST 2014

Rosemary,
Best to increase -ad to a very high value until results converge.
Try 10,000 to start with.
Beside Radiance, I think that the method suggested in the BRE 209 (which is a deterministic ray tracing) is better from a planning perspective as you will get the same results all the time and there is less room for litigations.
If the BRE ray tracing method is used, then  the highest value is 40 as there are 80 rays of 0.5% which are traced.
The only issue is that the rays (the dots) are placed according to the sky luminance but also incorporate a random factor to avoid the ‘fence effect’
It is possible to determine the elevation angle but for the azimuth the only route is to use the diagrams of BRE 209.
Anyway, best to state assumptions clearly, explain the methodology and discuss the sensitivity of the results.
For example if you calculate 40 instead of 39, there is no practical difference.
If you calculate 13.5 instead of 18, then is another story…
All the best and Happy New Year to all Radiance aficionados :-)
G.