[Radiance-general] rcollate troubles in Five-Phase CFS tutorial

Chris Coulter Chris.Coulter at BuroHappold.com
Tue Apr 15 22:55:35 PDT 2014

Greg-
Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, it all makes sense and works. I was expecting -h to suppress the header rather than not to expect it.

Rcollate is still a bit confusing (especially at this lovely hour on the east coast). Is there a quick way I can take the single column of 52560 values (8760hrs * 6pts) and place them in a matrix/array that is 8760 hours long/rows and the data points read across the columns? This would help me import the illuminance profiles into Excel templates I had already created using the 2-phase method. I'm sure I can write a script to clip the files into 8760 rows each then rlam them back together, but if I can just manage it on output from rcollate that would be better/cleaner. I see the note in the man page about it being inflexible - maybe this is the only behavior.

Thanks again!
Chris

From: Greg Ward [mailto:gregoryjward at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:15 AM
To: Radiance general discussion
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] rcollate troubles in Five-Phase CFS tutorial

Sorry -- this is probably my fault.  To make dctimestep work for multiplying matrices together, I altered it to output a header if and only if there was more than one column being produced.  This is pretty non-standard behavior for a Radiance tool, and wasn't documented by Andy because he wrote the scripts before the change.

The -h option of rcollate means don't expect a header on input AND don't produce one on output.  To get what you want, you need to take away the -h option to rcollate and/or insert "getinfo -" somewhere to strip the header.  This should work for your last command:

dctimestep -n 8760 -if matrices/directsun.dsmx matrices/OakLand_direct_m6.smx | \
      rcollate -oc 1 | getinfo - > i_ds5ph.txt

Or this:

dctimestep -n 8760 -if matrices/directsun.dsmx matrices/OakLand_direct_m6.smx | \
     | getinfo - | rcollate -h -oc 1 > i_ds5ph.txt

If you are OK with having a header in the output, use the first command above without the getinfo call.  Does this make sense?

-Greg