[Radiance-general] Tone mapping for animation

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Tue Oct 22 08:58:47 PDT 2013

Yep, it's a tonemapped jpg that retains (in a lossy way) the HDR info, so you can share these with people sans HDR image viewers and still retain backward compatibility (and enjoy a smaller file size). The paper is here:

http://www.anyhere.com/gward/papers/cic05.pdf

I do not know exactly what operator is used by hdr2jpeg...

- Rob