[Radiance-general] Fwd: Radiance - validation challenge

Ji Zhang hope.zh at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:38:13 PDT 2013

I did a test a while ago according to one of the cases described in
CIE171:2006 (case 5.9 Sky component for a roof unglazed opening and the CIE
general sky types):

image 1: modeled in Houdini. Radiance settings are shown in the parameter
panel for the tool customized in Houdini
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1EN8M6iBQaw/UYsi0umzZeI/AAAAAAAAEv8/QFmcf0zXiVE/s1600/3.PNG

image 2: simulation results (daylight factor value using CIE standard
overcast sky)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R9Vii2wAW5c/UYsi37tQYrI/AAAAAAAAEwE/ZNwZuvK7zW4/s640/4.PNG

image 3: difference between the simulation and the number reported in
CIE171:2006
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bDEPRFnG0aU/UYsi5NNzg7I/AAAAAAAAEwM/ESNHm9J7voU/s1600/2.PNG

It seems that my tool can get most of the results close to CIE's numbers,
but the point over the corner tends to under-estimate the daylight factor
value (e.g point zero).

Not sure if this is done appropriately and if this is relevant to what Greg
is proposing, and advices are appreciated!

- Ji