[Radiance-general] RE : Light Shelf Reflections

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 18 10:04:33 PDT 2013

Hi Shamim,
I think others have addressed most of your questions. So I'll just help you
with the appearance of your image.  There are two things to consider.

1)  Some of your "gray" materials are actually quite red.  From your
materials file:

void plastic Wall_gray
0
0
5 *0.867 0.384 0.122 *  0.00000 0.00000

void plastic Floor_Dark_Gray
0
0
5 *0.388 0.137 0.027*   0.00000 0.00000

The first three numbers following the 5 (on the fourth line) are the red,
green and blue reflectance value.  Both of these "gray" materials have
higher red reflectance so they are actually red.  To get rid of the red you
should balance the RGB reflectances.

2) you are creating an illuminance rendering instead of the typical
luminance rendering.  An illuminance rendering is a rendering of the
illuminance at each point in the model and is really only useful for
analysis.  A luminance rendering resembles what one would see in real life.
 This is why you don't get the infinity box effect that I had in my
rendering and that you get in your scale model.  But the illuminance
rendering is a handy way to understand the reflections on a mirror surface
without making your head spin.

To generate an illuminance rendering, the -i option is included in the
rpict command (your rpict currently uses the -i option).
To generate a luminance rendering remove the -i option.

Best,
Andy