[Radiance-general] Trans material

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Jan 25 02:58:04 PST 2013

Hi Martine!

> You were right that it appears to be "perfectly" diffused when considering luminance. However, just for future references, isn't it possible to evaluate the illuminance incident on a surface with trans or glass material applied?

You can do so by piping "sensor locations/directions" into rtrace and use the -I+ switch. That way, you calculate irradiance at that location without having a visible surface in place. You can get one value for a given location by e.g. piping one location / direction vector, e.g. echo "0 0 0 0 0 1" | rtrace -I+ (all other parameters...). Or you can generate a grid of such values, eventuelly forming an "irradiance image", by using vwrays to generate the locations / directions for you. This is much more flexible then rpict -i, which always depends on a surface in your scene. Have a quick look at Axel Jacob's tutorial to see some examples.

Cheers, Lars.