[Radiance-general] Strange results

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Feb 23 04:56:27 PST 2013

Hi Catarina!

I would count Ecotect as one of the building simulation systems
including an interface to Radiance. It is not a free one (unlike others,
e.g. Openstudio, Esp-r, ...).

You may want to have a look at Livi, which is a Radiance interface for
Blender. It looks pretty cool... Artificial lighting is handled by
adding an IES candela distribution data block to Blender's lamp object.

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/research/office-for-spatial-research/projects2/livi

Besides that it is a good idea to at least once "understand" Radiance
without an user interface. The frontends are all nice and polished, and
give the impression that things are easier than using text files and
commands. But they also hide critical aspects, setting some defaults or
making assumptions that one should at least be aware of. Take a look at
the tutorial section at www.radiance-online.org, especially the two
tutorials by Axel are a perfect start!

Cheers, Lars.