[Radiance-general] Pixel to solid angle transformation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 08:01:14 PST 2013

Yes, although an equisolid-angle fisheye has been requested by users, since it matches commonly found lenses, it is pretty low on my priority list.  All of the existing view types in Radiance vary solid angle somewhat with image position.  The means used to calculate solid angle in pcomb involves taking the area contained by each pixel as its rays are projected onto a unit sphere, thus leveraging the existing image-position-to-ray calculations already present in the code.  These latter routines are rather difficult to get right, which is why adding new view types is a bit painful.  (It took over a year before all the bugs were worked out in the latest -vts addition.)

Best,
-Greg