[Radiance-general] Automated head install script

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 5 10:52:21 PST 2013

Hi Everyone,

Since I download and compile the HEAD a lot, I wrote a script that
automates it for me.  It might not work for everyone as is, but it should
be easy to modify the script to do what you want.

The script copied below does the following:
 - creates a directory in /Applications/Radiance/  with yesterday's date.
 - downloads the head and support files from radiance-online using wget
 - creates a bin directory in ray/ for the binaries
 - compiles the head using expect to answer prompts
 - copies cal files to the library directory
 - updates a symlink (current) to point to the new ray directory

I keep the following in my .bash_profile:
PATH=$PATH:/Applications/Radiance/current/bin
RAYPATH=/Applications/Radiance/current/lib
MANPATH=$MANPATH:/Applications/Radiance/current/doc/man
export PATH RAYPATH MANPATH

While this is a not the standard installation location for binaries and
libraries, I like it because I can keep previous HEAD releases and go back
to them if necessary and I can update the symlink to point to new binaries
without having to restart the shell.

I keep this script in a directory on my PATH so i just need to issue the
command "sudo installhead.bsh" and get a new working head!

Best,
Andy

######### installhead.bsh #############################

#!/bin/bash

dir=`date -v -1d "+/Applications/Radiance/%Y-%m-%d_HEAD"`

mkdir $dir
cd $dir

wget http://www.radiance-online.org/software/snapshots/radiance-HEAD.tgz
wget http://www.radiance-online.org/software/non-cvs/rad4R0supp.tar.gz

rm -r ray

tar -xf radiance-HEAD.tgz
tar -xf rad4R0supp.tar.gz

cd ray
mkdir bin

expect <<- FIN
set timeout -1
 spawn ./makeall install
expect "What is your preferred editor*"
 send "\n"
expect "Where do you want the executable*"
send "${dir}/ray/bin\n"
 expect "The Radiance Software License*"
send " "
expect "*Do you understand and accept the terms of this agreement*"
 send "y\n"
expect "*Please select your system*"
send "3\n"
 expect "*Where do you want the library files*"
send "${dir}/ray/lib\n"
 expect "*Do you want to change it?*"
send "n\n"
expect "*export PATH*"