[Radiance-general] Gendaylit- bad sky description (John Ford)

Wendelin.Sprenger at ise.fraunhofer.de Wendelin.Sprenger at ise.fraunhofer.de
Fri Feb 1 07:03:52 PST 2013

Dear John,

to my knowledge, the Perez model only works in a limited range for the sky
clearness and brightness; at least gendaylit does. In the new version of
gendaylit that has been announced yesterday, the sky clearness and
brightness values are set to the border values in your case, and the
output is still calculated. Therefore, the octree can still be created and
used for this time step, without the bash script being aborted ("bad sky
description"). The warning messages are still directed to stdout as long
as the -w option is not set.

My guess is a wrong combination of high direct-normal irradiance values
and the defined point of time. Do you apply hourly irradiance values? Does
the problem still exist if you change the calculation to 10-minute values?
Maybe you can recalculate your weather files with the Skartveit-Olseth
method (Meteonorm, for example, provides this option.)

Cheers,
Wendelin